The Biproduct of Plasma Gasificaton

The solid residues from the plasma gasifier, including metal and glass, are subjected to recycling processes. The glass component is particularly noteworthy due to its potential to be employed in the manufacturing of higher-value products and various construction materials. The solid residues resulting from the plasma gasification of municipal solid waste have been verified to be non-toxic, as they pass the EPA's Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure (TCLP). In fact, plasma technology is at times specifically utilized to render ash from incinerators and other gasification technologies non-toxic.

The slag, resembling obsidian-like volcanic glass, can assume different forms contingent upon its cooling method and can subsequently be utilized in the creation of marketable products. The slag accounts for approximately 20% of the original waste's weight, yet its volume only comprises about 5% of the original waste's volume. There are no toxic byproducts associated with the slag, and it does not yield any ash. Furthermore, the glass slag byproducts encompass fillers for solid surface kitchen and bathroom countertops, wall fillers, fine sand for road bedding, and serve as a component in various other construction materials. Notably, it finds application in rock wool production. Rock wool, being twice as effective as fiberglass for insulation, is non-toxic. Its light weight, buoyancy, and absorbent qualities position it as a potential material for oil spill cleanup.

Apart from the capacity to resell scrap metal derived from processing municipal solid waste, plasma gasification also holds the potential to recover precious metals that may find their way into waste streams. Whether it be copper sourced from electronic waste (e-waste) or valuable metals employed in products that eventually end up as waste, plasma gasification offers a local, comprehensive recovery and recycling solution for these precious metals.


 - All byproducts of this process have commercial value, adding to the overall profitability of the operation.

- Additionally, the plant's generators are self-powered, with 20% of the waste-to-energy (WTE) product being reserved for internal consumption, while the remaining 80% is available for sale back to the grid.